All we need is love

All we need is love
All we need is love

Friday, June 29, 2012

Red, white and blue Carnations- the project

Although July 4th is still nearly a week away, I thought we would start on a project to add a little festive decor to our home as the day approaches. I picked up some red and white carnations from the flower shop today with the intent on making some of the white ones blue. Red, white and blue carnations is what I am hoping to have once the day is through.
I have no idea if they will turn out, but I guess we will see tomorrow! 
Here's what we did.

We took 2 glass cylinders filled them half way up with water.

Then we put a few drops of royal blue food coloring into one, and some purple in the other. Why purple?? Well, we had an additional experiment going. I'll tell you about that too.

We used Gel Paste food coloring that I purchased at the cake decorating store. It creates a more intense color with just a small amount of product.
  Then we took an Xacto knife and very carefully sliced one of the carnations in half length-wise (for the purpose of our additional experiment of course).

We placed 2 of the carnations in the glass containing blue water within seconds of trimming the ends off. Then we took the carnation with the stem that was sliced in half and placed half the stem in one glass and half in the other. I can't wait to see what happens! I wonder if it will make a difference!

Check back tomorrow and see the results of our little experiment! See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment