All we need is love

All we need is love
All we need is love

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Gourmet Peanut Butter Sandwiches

Greg and I are huge fans of this show on the Food Network called Chopped where 4 chefs are given the same basket of mystery ingredients to make a meal course with- first an appetizer, then an entree and of course a dessert round to cap it off. The chefs on that show are so creative in how they can turn the oddest of ingredients into a delicious, cohesive meal. Watching it inspires me to be adventurous in the kitchen and try new things- recipe free.
Now, I'm not daring enough to add Peeps marshmallow candies to my lamb steaks but I have, on occasion, tried a few things I might not have tried before. Today was one of those days.
I was inspired after a trip to my local Trader Joe's. I never go there, but was encouraged to by someone who recommended their organic and inexpensive peanut butter. During my trip there, I smelled something amazingly fragrant cooking that was made with coconut oil- an ingredient I have never used before. So, I thought I'd bring it home and try it out in a few recipes.
Well, with the new ingredients before me, I set out to cook a decadent peanut butter, banana and honey sandwich for my family's lunch. I used a whole grain, wheat bread that I lightly brushed with the coconut oil on one side and smothered it with this crunchy Valencia peanut butter with roasted flaxseeds on the other before I placed it in a hot pan to sear. Now, I don't typically make my PB&J's in a pan like a grilled cheese sandwich, but like I said, I was feeling adventurous. In addition to the peanut butter, I layered the sandwich with some slices of banana and a heavy drizzle of honey.
The result- Ahhhh-mazing!
We all loved it- down to the last bite! The perfect pairing with a icy cold glass of milk. It was hot and melty, with a little crunch from the peanuts, and the coconut oil added the perfect compliment and fragrance to the sandwich. I highly recommend you give it a try!




No comments:

Post a Comment