All we need is love

All we need is love
All we need is love

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Healthy after school snacks


I love Rice Krispies Treats..... I always have. I'm pretty sure I don't know anyone who doesn't like them. They are not terribly bad for you- but then, they are not that good for you either.


I personally like to find ways of making foods I like, healthier for me and my family. I don't want to deprive my kids of sweet treats, so I'm not going to make them learn to enjoy organic rice cakes for a snack. I just want to add a little nutrition where I can. So in this case, I've experimented with using different whole wheat/high fiber cereals as a substitute for the traditional Rice Krispies. I have found that Whole Wheat Chex gives you that same delicious crunch, and adds a whole lot more nutrition.


Here's the recipe:


Wheat Chex Crispy Treats

1, 14 ounce box of Wheat Chex
1, 10.5 ounce bag of Jet-Puffed Marshmallow (smaller ones melt faster)
3 Tablespoons butter

Melt the butter on medium-low in a large pot and add the marshmallows with a sturdy, oiled wooden spoon. Add the entire box of cereal, mix until cereal is completely coated with marshmallow mixture and pour into a greased 10x10 inch pan. Make sure to pack it down tightly. Let it cool, then invert onto a cutting board for cutting.

If you cut this into 16 equal squares, your nutritional information for each treat should be:

160 calories
2.6 grams fat
3 grams dietary fiber 
8.3 grams protein

(as opposed to ZERO fiber using the original recipe, and only 1.3 grams of protein)


No comments:

Post a Comment