All we need is love

All we need is love
All we need is love

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Kale Salad

I don't know about you, but when I learn that a food is really good for me, I bump it up on my ranking scale. This salad, for me, is a 10. It's not the most incredible salad I've ever tasted, but it is really delicious and appeals to my love for tangy elements. By itself it's probably an 8.5 for me on a 1-10 scale, but knowing that it's main ingredient is one of the super foods makes me love it even more.


Kale, is a highly nutritious green, packed with so many vitamins and minerals. A single serving of raw kale boasts a whopping 180% of your daily value of vitamin A, 200% vitamin C and 1,020% vitamin K! Not only that, but is it also high in vitamin B6, fiber  and very low in calories. This queen of greens is chock full of antioxidants which offers cancer protection to it's consumer and it's ability to lower cholesterol levels in the blood helps to reduce your risk of heart disease. This is one powerful food!


There are many variations of this salad recipe out there, and if you don't try mine, I urge you to try one that you like enough to add it to your dinner repertoire. Your body will thank you! 


My recipe is based off of the first kale salad I ever tried. A parent brought it to a Girl Scout potlatch. I can remember seeing it and thinking, "What a weird, boring thing to bring to a children's potlatch" Then I tasted it. OMG! I was in heaven! The flavors and textures in this salad are so addicting, I just couldn't get enough and the kids liked it too! My recipe is a modified version of that one. I hope you'll give it a try and fall in love with it like I have!


Kale Salad


8 cups packed kale torn into bite-sized pieces, spines  removed
1/2 cup finely ground almonds
1/4 cup EVOO
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2-4 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano cheese, or Parmeseano-Romano
salt and pepper to taste


Toss your greens with your EVOO and lemon juice, add your ground almonds, cheese and salt and pepper and continue to toss until every piece is coated with this goodness. *This super salad is fabulous for making in advance. You can make it at night and it will retain it's hardy texture the next day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment