All we need is love

All we need is love
All we need is love

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Braised Red Cabbage


I know what you are thinking..... Braised cabbage? Cabbage? All by itself? As a side dish? No thanks. (And BTW- it's purple.)

Well let me tell you- that's what I thought until just recently when I had a head of red cabbage left over from another recipe that I didn't know what to do with. We were low on veggies and so I sauteed or braised it in a pan with a little EVOO, salt and pepper just long enough soften it up, but keep a nice bite to it. 

Introducing this new side to my family was met with a little apprehension and turned up noses- as I am sure I don't have to tell you. Well, it was delicious. I have to admit, I was surprised myself! Then I made it again tonight, only this time I smiled as I set it on the table hearing my kids cheer because they get to have it again. Victory! 

Not only is this side dish inexpensive and easy to make, but it's low in calories and fat and high in fiber, vitamins A and C and even has a bit of protein and iron in it too. I'll be adding this to my list of dinner sides, thank you very much. I hope you'll give it a try too!

No comments:

Post a Comment