All we need is love

All we need is love
All we need is love

Monday, June 4, 2012

My Award-winning Banana Bread




Well- it hasn't actually received an award. . .  but everyone who tastes it thinks it should! It's pretty darn fabulous, thanks to Betty Crocker and a little secret ingredient that I add to make a crispy, crunchy addictive topping to it. Well, I'm about to divulge my secrets to you right now!!


I had a couple of helpers with me in the kitchen today and we made a few batches of this comfort-foody bread. We had an abundance of over-ripe bananas in the freezer so I made extra and sent some home with my little baker boy, Roman. I must say though, he is so good in the kitchen, and he really listens to what I teach him. When I asked him today why he must be careful not to put his hand in the mixer bowl, he remembered the story I told him once about how my mom did that and broke her arm. He cake bake with me anytime!


Anyhow, I'll give you my recipe if you promise to use it for good and not for evil. If left unattended, any honest-intended person could accidentally eat the whole loaf and be stuck with a bazillion extra calories to burn and it would be all your fault. Assuming you understand the risks involved. . . read on. (LOL!)


Banana Bread


Ingredients
1 cup granulated white sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1/3 cup water
4 over-ripened, frozen, then defrosted bananas
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup roughly chopped walnuts
1/2 cup Demerara sugar


Directions
Cream together your white sugar and butter then mix in your eggs. Add your water and bananas to the bowl and combine until smooth. Mix in your baking powder, baking soda, salt and walnuts. Lastly, fold in your flour. If you over mix the ingredients once the flour is incorporated, you will have a tough bread rather than one that is light and airy. 
Pour this mixture into a bread pan coated with Cake Release and then heavily coat the top with your Demerara sugar. Pop it in the oven and bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Once it has cooled, you can invert the pan, pop out the bread and slice it up to serve! Enjoy!


My other little helper. . . .


Just a little side note: I am loving how my girl can follow a recipe with little help now-a-days. She's at a really fun age where she CAN do as much as she WANTS to do. Plus, it is a great opportunity for us to bond- doing something we both enjoy. 
If you like to cook or bake and your kids show even the tiniest bit if interest, I strongly suggest you pull up a stool and get them involved. It will benefit the both of you in so many ways for years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment