All we need is love

All we need is love
All we need is love

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Pumpkin Granola

Another pumpkin recipe you say?? 
Oh yes! I can't get enough! And why should I?? 'Tis the season for yummy spiced pumpkin recipes- right? Plus, it adds a healthy boost of vitamins to whatever we're baking. 
Who could argue with that?

Well, I found a recipe for Pumpkin Granola, and although it sounded good- it was too moist and not that good. I loved the concept though, so I thought I'd try my hand at my own version of pumpkin granola. The end result is yummy, pumpkin-y, crunchy goodness. It had a very obvious pumpkin flavor (which I felt was lacking in many other recipes) and is a very versatile goodie to have in the house. We use granola for cereal in the morning, on yogurt for an after school snack or as a topping on our ice cream for dessert. This recipe is super easy and quite healthy too.

Pumpkin Granola

Ingredients
5 cups oats
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1 cup salted, roasted pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
1/2 cup textured vegetable protein (or wheat germ)
1Tablespoon pumpkin spice seasoning
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup canned pureed pumpkin
1/2 cup oil (I used coconut oil which added a great flavor)
1/4 cup maple syrup (I used sugar free syrup)
1 cup dried cranberries


Directions
(1) Mix all dry ingredients, minus the dried cranberries in a large bowl until combined; set aside.
(2) Mix your wet ingredients in a medium bowl. Pour this mixture over your oat mixture and stir until the oats are completely coated.

(3) Spread this evenly onto 2 large, ungreased cookie sheets. You want a thin layer of granola on each one.

At this point it will be beautifully glossy and bright! I love the lovely green hues of the pepitas!

(4) Place into an oven preheated to 300 degrees F for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and stir every 15 minutes until done.
(5) Immediately after you pull it from the oven, mix in your dried cranberries then let it cool.
Store the final product in an air tight container for up to 1 month (IF it lasts that long!) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment